World's Healthiest Vegetable Chili
So called because this dish uses the most nutrient-rich legumes, fresh tomatoes and peppers, vegetables that are at the top of the antioxidant list, and with heart healthy pure olive oil, your body will thank you. To make this chili even heathier, use low fat, low sodium broth and juice as well as frozen beans. Any type of winter squash is great, but acorn takes the cake when it comes to nutrients and antioxidants. If you must use canned beans, please rinse well before using.
For 4 people
- 1 tablespoon(s) pure olive oil
- 2 acorn squashes, peeled,seeded and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cup(s) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) pure vegetable juice *
- 2 -4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup(s) frozen or canned lima beans
- 1 cup(s) white or red, cooked kidney beans
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked Great Northern beans
- 1 cup(s) lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped
World's Healthiest Vegetable Chili Directions
- In a large saucepan, heat half the oil over mdium high heat until shimmering. Add squash, cooking and stirring about 7-9 minutes, or until starting to brown. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. In same pot, add remaining oil with carrots and onion. Cook ,while stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder, brown sugar, cumin and garlic, cooking an additional 1 minute. Add remainder of ingredients, bring to boiling and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, or until squash is tender. Serve immediately.
- * Use your imagination among the scores of brands and types of pure juice. I enjoy any type of tomato juice blend because it adds just the right amount of a fruit as well(apple for example) to give it a tinge of depth in flavor. I also add some carrot juice at times along with tomato juice blend.