Double Chocolate Cherry Nougat-2 Ways
Here are two ways of making Nougat. The easy way, just in case we really are pressed for time, and the classic way. I love both recipes but gravitate toward the easy way because it takes about 4 minutes total to prepare and is perfect for those of you that are a little finicky about making candy. You don't have to worry whether or not the sugar syrup is up to temperature in this recipe, and it is foolproof.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 12 ounce(s) white chocolate chips
- 16 regular marshmallows
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoon(s) dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) butter or margarine
Double Chocolate Cherry Nougat-2 Ways Directions
- Lighlty grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chocolate chips and marshmallows in a large bowl and microwave, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove, stir and continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Add cherries and stir until well combined. Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until set.
- Microwave chocolate chips and butter for 20-30 seconds, or until completely melted. Stir well and drizzle over nougat. Slice into desired sizes and allow to cool until chocolate drizzle has hardened before serving.
- For Classic Fluffy Nougat, add 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup granulated sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Now stop stirring and allow the mixture to boil 5 minutes. If you are using a candy thermometer, bring this mixture up to 290-degrees F. At the same time, beat 1 egg white until stiff peaks form. When ready, and with the beater running on medium speed, constantly(and carefully)drizzle the hot syup into egg whites until it is all added. Increase speed to high and continue beating until meringue is thick and beginning to cool, about another 2 minutes. Stir in chopped cherries and pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top evenly. Cool as directed above.