YANKED New England Baked Beans
A superb mixture of sausage and beans. Not a very upscale recipe, but a dish that has withstood time and a true comfort food. This recipe differs from my New England Baked Beans for the explosive flavor, but of course you may omit or reduce certain items in the ingredient list as you see fit.
For 10 Serving(s)
- 1 lb(s) Navy(Pea) beans
- 1/3 cup(s) molasses
- 2 onions, peeled and halved
- 1/2 lb(s) hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) celery seed
- 1 ounce(s) dark rum, optional
YANKED New England Baked Beans Directions
- Put beans in a large pot and cover with at least 3 inches of cold water. Let soak 12 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 250-degrees F. Place the beans in a 4 quart Dutch oven or large pot with tight fitting lid. Fill with enough water to cover beans by 3 inches. Crush the sausage and add with the remainder of ingredients(leaving a half onion out), except rum, stir well and cover. Place in oven and simply let cook for at least 4 hours. Check every hour and stir to make sure the beans haven't dried out.If you find the beans to be getting hard and the liquid has evaporated, add enough water until just level with the beans. when there is one hour left, add the rum, stirring well.
After the allotted time, remove from oven and test to make sure the beans are tender and the liquid has turned into a thick, aromatic broth. top with the other half of the onion that has been minced before serving. Enjoy!