Refreshing Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars
This very simple recipe is simply a comfort dessert that we, here in New England, are so fond of. The taste of streusel with bluebrries is truly a marrige that lasts through the ages. I have, however, added a special kind of flavoring that is both refreshing yet doesn't over power the taste of blueberries.
For 8 Serving(s)
- 3 cup(s) flour
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cup(s) frozen blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) spearmint flavoring, optional
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon flour or cornstarch
Refreshing Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and stir with you fingertips to form very small "pebbles". Less than a quarter the size of a pea: set aside.
- In another large bowl, add the blueberries, spearment, lemon juice and grated zest. Toss to coat berries. Add the brown sugar and flour. Toss to coat each blueberry with flour/sugar mixture. Spread half the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 12-inch baking pan, ungreased, tamping down so it is level. Add the seasoned blueberries evenly over this bottom crust and sprinkle remaing crust ove the top, not packing it down. Bake for 40-45 mintues on the bottom rack of an oven, or until the top is lightly browned. Remove to cool compltely before slicing into bars.