Harvest Moon Apple-Butter Cake
There are two types of moon phases that have graced our New England skies for ages, the Hunters Moon and the Harvest Moon.
First to grace our sky is the Harvest Moon, which ocurrs when the moon is 'full" during the September equinox. This was the time generally accepted when the Native Americans began to reap their squash, beans, pumpkins and apples, and whatever harvest remained to put up for the approaching winter.
The Hunters Moon refers to the "full" moon shortly after it is the biggest and brightest moon of the year. Because of its brightness, hunters of all nationalities were able to hunt the migrating birds at night. Of course, this practice is outlawed now.
For 4 people
- 1/3 cup(s) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla
- 1 tablespoon(s) cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup(s) milk
- 2 cup(s) flour
- 2 cup(s) prepared apple butter*
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ginger
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated lemon zest
Harvest Moon Apple-Butter Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or lightly oil. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder and cinnamon well.
- Beat the eggs until frothy and add to flour mixture along with vanilla, melted butter, yogurt and milk. Mix all well, but leave a little lumpy.
- Pour half into the prepared loaf pan. Dot the top of the batter with 1/2 cup apple butter, pour remainder of batter over the top. Evenly dot the top of batter with remainder of apple butter.
- Sprinkle Streusel Topping over the top evenly and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the center bounces back when pressed. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Invert onto a plate and slice to enjoy.
- Streusel Topping: Mix all ingredients together well until the flour and sugar are well moistened and crumbly.
- *You can buy prepared apple butter or use The Yankee Chef's Apple Butter, found on this site.