'Southern Fried Chicken' Meatballs
What more can I say. This is a Yanked version of a Southern classic. Served with the classic 'milk gravy', you will love not only the flavor but the less greasy and fatty original.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 1 lb(s) ground chicken or turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup(s) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each black pepper, oregano, celery salt, garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 1 lb(s) potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup(s) chicken stock
- White Sauce:
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
'Southern Fried Chicken' Meatballs Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients together and mix well. Form into 1 1/2-inch sized meatballs. Place meatballs in a baking sheet with at least an inch-high side. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cooked throughout. Meanwhile, make White Gravy.
- In a large saucepan, add milk, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and salt. Whisk well and bring to scalding over medium heat. Do not let it boil. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch with water to make slurry. When milk is scalding, reduce heat to low and whisk in cornstarch slurry until smooth. Remove meatballs from the oven and transfer to saucepan with a slotted spoon, gently coating each meatball with gravy. Keep warm while preparing potatoes.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add potato slices in a single layer. set aside any potatoes that don't fit right now. Cook potatoes until lightly browned on one side. If you have more potatoes to add, simply lift out cooked potatoes onto a plate while browning remainder. When potatoes are browned, after about 2-3 minutes, add chicken stock and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until tender but still firm. Remove cover and continue cooking potatoes, without mixing, another 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes are done.
- To assemble, evenly divide potatoes, decoratively, in the center of each plate. Top with equal
- amounts of meatballs and sauce and serve hot.