New England Johnnybread Salad
Want an easy and flavorful salad this Holiday season or any time of year? This Yankee inspired salad is a great entrée as well, but especially suited to prevent you from eating too much turkey or ham during those gut-busting meals with family and friends.
Enough for 4-6 servings
For 6 people
- 1 box (8.5 ounce) corn muffin or corn bread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 3 ounce(s) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and julienned *
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounce(s) fresh spinach
- 1 green, red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Tangy Sausage Dressing:
- 1/2 lb(s) hot or sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/4 cup(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) soy or Worcestershire sauce
New England Johnnybread Salad Directions
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Stir muffin mix, eggs and milk until combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and it springs back in the center when touched. Remove from oven to cool completely. Cut cooled cornbread into cubes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and melt over medium-high heat. Add green onion, green pepper and julienned tomatoes. Grill, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cornbread cubes and continue cooking until cornbread is starting to crisp, another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare Tangy Sausage Dressing.
- Slice sausage links into 1/4-inch slices. Add to a large skillet, over medium heat, and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2-3 minutes, turning each slice over. With a slotted spoon, remove cooked sausage to a dish; set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add remainder of ingredients. Bring to a boil. stirring to lift up sausage fonds from the bottom of the pan, and let reduce slightly, about 4-5 minutes. Add the sausages back into the skillet, mix well.
- While Dressing is cooking, toss spinach, mushrooms and cornbread mixture in a large salad bowl. Pour Tangy Sausage Dressing into bowl of greens and toss. Evenly divide among serving bowls and serve immediately.
- *Of course you can also simply added chopped, fresh tomatoes on top of salad when serving.