Spicy Chicken Soup with Potato Dumplings
I love making this recipe into a Yankee-style soup as well, by using chestnuts. There are two ways of preparing chestnuts for any recipe, including this one. Take 6 horse chestnuts, or more if smaller, and slit with an 'x' on the top or bottom of each chestnut. Bake at 350-degrees F for 35 minutes if using large, horse chestnuts and 20 minutes if using smaller ones. Let cool before peeling and chopping for a recipe. If you don't want to take the time, then simply slit and boil the chestnuts(if using) on medium-high for 8 minutes before cooling, peeling and chopping.
For 4 people
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 3 ounce(s) fresh green beans, snipped and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 - 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 4 ounce(s) cooked, diced pork
- 4 ounce(s) cooked, diced chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoon(s) lite soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne powder
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth or stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Potato dumplings, recipe below
Spicy Chicken Soup with Potato Dumplings Directions
- In a large saucepan, add oil over medium heat until shimmering and hot. Add carrot, cooking and stirring until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, onion, green beans and celery. Continue cooking and stirring, occasionally, until the celery is soft, an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pork, chicken, soy sauce and cayenne. Cook, uncovered, until everything is heated through, another 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boiling. Season to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and add Potato Dumplings. Cover and simmer until dumplings are soft, about 3-4 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
- Potato Dumplings:
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon chili powder
Mix all together and roll out into 2 ropes, about an inch in diameter, using your palms. With a knife or dough cutter, slice 1-inch segments. The potato mixture will be very delicate and tear easily, so make sure you have enough flour on your work surface and your hands are completely dried and dusted with flour as well.