Cantaloupe Soup With Crispy Ham
I, personally, don't enjoy cold soups as much as I should(only because I am not in the mood much) but I felt like my wasitline was expanding the other day and I decided that this would be a great satisfying meal. I was right!
Now I know we are stubborn Yankee's and most of the time, proud of that fact. But just this once, hide that stubborness and try a cold soup. I have a particular passion for fruit and enjoying the Cantaloupe Soup really hit the spot.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 c.)
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup(s) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Juice from one lime
- 3 slices prosciutto
- Grated zest from 1 lime
Cantaloupe Soup With Crispy Ham Directions
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook onions until soft and translucent (but not browned). Add melon and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, until melon falls apart when pushed with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add lime juice. Remove from heat and cool slightly before blending in blender or food processor in small batches. Pulse until as smooth as possible. Serve warm or chill for several hours to serve cold.
- Before serving, thinly slice and chop prosciutto into small pieces. Fry over medium high heat until browned and crispy. Remove from heat and pat with paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle ham bits and grated lime zest oer top of serving bowls before serving.
- Try Honeydew with the kick of black pepper. Perfect! You can make your own pepper bacon by sprinkling both sides of a slice of bacon with cracked pepper before cooking. That is it. That is simple!