Yummy Maine Potato Rolls
Is there anything more calming than the aroma of a yeast-risen dough? Even before you start cooking, you can smell this fungus immediately upon handling. And when you add the Maine touch that is potatoes, then comfort food has no equal. Soft, super light and extremely addicting, try these rolls the next time you have any leftover mashed potatoes.
For 10 Serving(s)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup(s) warm water
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- cup(s) flour
- teaspoon(s) salt(2 if there is no salt in mashed potatoes)
- 2 tablespoon(s) melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup(s) mashed potatoes(leftover is fine)
- Nonstick cooking spray
Yummy Maine Potato Rolls Directions
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar whisked together. Let sit for 10 minutes until very foamy. Add 2 cups flour and the salt, mixing with a sturdy wooden spoon until just combined. Add the mashed potato and melted butter. Continue to mix until the dough comes together and is pulling away from the sides of the bowl, adding more flour as needed. This is tough but is easily accomplished. You can also use a hook attachment on a mixer if desired.
- Spray the top of the dough with nonstick cooking spray and loosely cover with a dry cloth to rise for an hour or so in a warm spot of your kitchen(gas ovens are best), until almost doubled in bulk.
- Spray a cookie sheet or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Sprinkle flour over your work surface, transfer dough from bowl to floured surface and knead for a minute, until smooth and elastic. Pinch off ping pong-sized balls from dough and roll between your palms. Lay them on prepared pan, smooth side up. Snuggle them close together for fluffy rolls or leave an inch space between each for crispy rolls(as seen in picture). Spray the tops of each roll with nonstick cooking spray and let rise for another hour, or until almost doubled in bulk once again. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until just starting to brown on top. Remove and serve as is or brush with additional melted butter before serving.