Caesar-Style Potato Salad
This crazy weather has me grillin' one day and baking another. It just so happens that on May 31, it was in the 90s and "wicked" humid. So guess what? It was too hot and humid to grill outside and too hot and humid to bake inside. So cold food was on the menu. Again, as I have said a few times in the past, do not let the ingredient list fool you. This is inexpensive and quite easy to prepare actually.
You can serve this with or without the added dressing. But I must say, the creamy Yogurt Caesar Dressing is what topped this side dish off with that perfect "bite". The crunch and from the wilted lettuce was the perfect accompaniment as well.
For 4 people
- Creamy Yogurt Caesar Dressing, recipe below
- 2 lb(s) potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup(s) mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 cider vinegar
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
- 6 ounce(s) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 rib celery, minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) prepared, stone ground or Dijon-style mustard
- 3 strips turkey or pork bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon(s) cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Caesar-Style Potato Salad Directions
- Make Caesar Dressing, keep refrigerated until needed. In a large bowl, combine the cooked, cubed potatoes, mayonnaise, chopped eggs, cider vinegar, peas, celery, mustard and bacon. Stir and combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spray a large skillet liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Place over high heat. When pan is hot, add the lettuce, onions and black pepper. Constantly stirring, cook lettuce until just barely wilted and hot. Remove from heat. Mound potato salad evenly among dishes, top with wilted lettuce and drizzle Creamy Yogurt Caesar Dressing on top if desired. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Creamy Yogurt Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
2 anchovy fillets, optional
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Put all dressing ingredients in the bowl of a blender or food processor and pulse until creamy and blended, about 20 seconds. Remove, transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate. This makes close to a cup.