'Shortcut' Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Cake
For those of you who aren't familiar with my recipes that have the 'Shortcut' word in front, let me just say that I know how time constraining baking can be. There is so much to do and very little time to do it in, so I alter recipes so that it is quick to prepare, yet has the same taste and feel to them as it would had you made it by scratch. Certainly you can make you own cinnamon roll batter and follow the procedures of rolling out, dusting with cinnamon sugar, rolling back up and cutting them accordingly, but why not take the easy way out once in awhile? This is a great recipe that is so simple but yields the same result if you had started from scratch.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 2 (17.5 ounce)tubes cinnamon rolls
- cup(s) frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup(s) Nonstick cooking spray
- White Cream Cheese Icing or Chocolate Ganache, recipes below
'Shortcut' Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Generously spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. If unsure of yourself, you may dust with flour, pouring out excess. With the palm of your hand, flatten each cinnamon roll out on a clean work surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Place about 6-8 blueberries in the center of each roll and fold in half, forming a half-moon shape. The center of each cinnamon roll may stick to work surface, but simply lift up and fold over. Slightly crimp the edge together and lay these half-moons inside bundt pan. Stagger each roll very loosely.
- When done with 12 rolls, place in the oven and bake 40-45 minutes, or until well browned on top. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make icing and ganache. In a large bowl, combine 2 c. powdered sugar with 1/4 cup room temperature cream cheese and 2 tablespoons milk. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat on low until cream cheese is incorporated, turning to medium speed to blend together well. If you need to add more milk, do so a tablespoon at a time, until just barely pourable.
- For the ganache, in a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips with 1/4 cup heavy, light or half-and-half cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir. Microwave at 15 second intervals until it is smooth and entirely melted.
- Drizzle either icing or ganache over cake and decorate as you prefer.