Crab and Gnocchi Gratin
This Yanked "Mac and cheese" casserole makes a great dinner party dish or simply a comforting casserole on a cold night. It’s a combination of a classic gnocchi gratin and crab macaroni and cheese, but with a bit of luxury.
For 4 people
- 1 lb(s) packaged(or homemade) gnocchi
- 3/4 lb(s) cooked crab meat, drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cup(s) light cream or half-and-half
- 6 ounce(s) Swiss cheese, shredded
- 6 ounce(s) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 cup(s) dried, unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed basil leaves
Crab and Gnocchi Gratin Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. First thing is to cook gnocchi according the the instructions and on the package and drain well. Transfer gnocchi to a 9 x 9-inch baking pan or casserole dish and top, evenly, with the crabmeat.
- Melt half the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat and add the garlic and zest; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add the flour and whisk well. Add the cream and whisk until very smooth, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes while stirring until the sauce is thick and hot. Add the cheeses, whisk well and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk another minute or two until the cheese has melted. Season to taste and pour over the crab and gnocchi, folding to evenly distribute the sauce. Melt the remaining butter and toss with the bread crumbs and basil. Sprinkle this topping over prepared gnocchi and bake 20-30 minutes, or until edges are bubbling and top is golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy while hot.