Glazed Pan Fried Meatball Cups
In a way, this meatball recipe reminds me of years gone by when I enjoyed meatloaf glazed the same way. With this recipe, I brought back some of those memories and created new ones by spicing up this recipe with Italian sausage. I have had more Italian sausage in my lifetime than I care to think about, but honestly, very few(if any) can compare to W.A.Bean and Son's Italian sausage. I don't know what they do but I sure hope they keep doing it! Their recipe for sausage is perfect as is or mixed in a meatball recipe such as this below.
A little sweet, a little spice and a lot of flavor. Many chefs add ground pork, veal, lamb and beef together in varying ratios to result in what they say is the best meatball. I can honestly say this is my favorite. I won't say it is the best because my best and yours will be different. Just taste it for yourself and decide.
For 10 Serving(s)
- 1/2 lb(s) ground beef
- 1 link raw, hot italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup(s) dried, unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 10 mini phyllo cups
- 2 ounce(s) sliced cheddar or provolone chesse, cut small
- Honey Red Glaze:
- 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/4 cup(s) honey
Glazed Pan Fried Meatball Cups Directions
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except Honey Red Glaze. Mix well. Scoop out tablespoons of meat mixture and shape into balls.
- In a large skillet, add oil over medium heat. Fry the meatballs until browned all over. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook an additional 4-5 minutes until done, watching so they don't burn.
- Remove from drippings onto a rack placed over a pan. Preheat broiler and place broiler rack at least 3-inces from heat source.
- Place meatballs into individual phyllo cups and spoon equal amount of Honey Red Glaze over the top. Broil 3 minutes or until glaze is just bubbling and hot. Remove, wedge a piece of Cheddar cheese into each cup and serve.