Fresh Butternut Salad with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette
This is one of those "salads" that tastes and satisfies as a hearty side dish. Wonderful flavor, filling without feeling guilty and perfectly suited for all times of year. Just a hint of protein is all this recipe needs to accomplish all this and more.
For 3 people
- 1 small butternut squash(about a pound)
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts, pecans or your favorite nut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese(about a half cup)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette, recipe below
Fresh Butternut Salad with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette Directions
- Cut the neck of the squash from the bulb, saving the bulb for another use. Peel the neck portion and cut in half lengthwise. Using a vegetable peeler, or mandolin if you have one, create long, thin ribbons of squash. Place ribbons in a large bowl. Cut sliced proscuitto into 2-inch segments and add to squash along with remainder of ingredients. Toss well, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving drizzled with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette.
- For the vinaigrette, place 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup cranberry juice, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon grated orange zest and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar in a blender or food processor and process until completely emulsified.
- Enough for 3 servings.