Louisiana Style Lamb Meatballs
Cafe Brulot has been a favorite of Lousiana folks for many years, and no wonder. The gentle citrus flavors topped with orange liqueur will perk up anyones after dinner festivities. I have taken this flavor and slathered it over lamb, making these the tastiest meatballs you will ever eat.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 lb(s) ground lamb
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each salt and black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Chinese 5 spice powder
- Cafe Brulot Sauce:
- 2 cup(s) strong, brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup(s) orange liqueur
- 2 teaspoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each grated lemon and orange peel
- Pinch each ground cloves and cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
Louisiana Style Lamb Meatballs Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Make meatballs by combining lamb, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper and Chinese 5-spice powder. Make 15 meatballs, placing each in an apprropriate sized baking pan, with at least an inch-high side. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until completely done inside.
- Meanwhile, make Make Cafe Brulot Sauce. Add all ingredients, except cornstarch and water to a large saucepan. Bring to a light boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. Strain into a bowl and return to pot. Bring to a boil once again. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth, creating a slurry. When coffee mixture is boiling, add slurry, whisk very well and cook one additional minute, until it thickens. Remove from heat and cover until needed.
- Remove meatballs from oven, drain and transfer to saucepan with sauce. Stir to combine and serve immediately.