Edible Pilgrim's Hats
These little gems are perfect. If you don't want to go through the hassle of making your own chocolate cookies, simply buy them premade, lay them out on a sheet pan and unwrap your peanut butter cups. Melt a half cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and dab just enough of the melted chocolate in the middle of each cookie so that the peanut butter cups will adhere. Then decorate as directed. Save this recipe, if you want, for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or better yet, make them all the time.
For 3 Dozen(s)
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 cup(s) cocoa powser
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 8 ounce(s) chocolate chips
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- mini peanut butter cups
- 1 tube of yellow, squeezable icing
Edible Pilgrim's Hats Directions
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt half the chocolate (4 oz.) with the butter in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave for 1 minute, Stir and continue microwaving for 15 seconds intervals until completely melted.
- Transfer melted chocolate to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla; mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low while gradually adding flour mixture until combined. Fold in remaining chocolate chips or chunks. You can also mix this by hand with a sturdy wooden spoon or simply use a hand mixer with beaters.
- Spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray liberally. Scoop batter using a 1 1/2-inch scoop; place 2 inches apart baking sheets. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces begin to crack, about 15 minutes. Cookies will still be a little soft but will set after removing from oven.
- Meanwhile unwrap as many mini peanut butter cups as needed. When cookies have been removed from the oven, immediately top each cookie with an unwrapped peanut butter cup, top side down. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing them to cooling rack or platter. When completely cool, squeeze tube of yellow icing around base of each peanut butter cup to resemble a hat band and buckle in front of each "hat".