Easy Rustic Lentil Stew with Dried Fruit
If you have never pureed cooked carrots as a thickening and flavor agent to a stew, you are in for a treat. With the addition of some slight sweetness in the way of dried fruit, this hearty stew is a great entree by itself.....with the addition of some crusty bread that is.
For 3 people
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked carrots
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed *
- 1/2 cup dried papaya, mango or apricots, diced small
- 1/2 cup frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt and black pepper
Easy Rustic Lentil Stew with Dried Fruit Directions
- In a food processor or blender, puree broth with carrots until as smooth as possible; set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion until they begin to soften. Add broth mixture, lentils, papaya and spinach. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and gently boil for about 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve hot.
- * You can also use canned lentils, but drain well and only cook until everything is heated through.
- NOTE: Add some cooked diced chicken and substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth if desiring a robust stew with meat.