Creamy Cheddar-Potato Custards
Just the right sweet with pungent, this delightfully silken custard is phenomenally creamy, low in fat and ultimately satisfying.
Share This Recipe
For 2 Serving(s)
- 1 cup(s) evaporated skim(fat-free) milk
- 1/3 cup(s) mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup(s) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) blueberry preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
Creamy Cheddar-Potato Custards Directions
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Add milk and sweet potato in the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree until as smooth as possible on high, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to scalding over medium heat, while stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Beat the egg and egg whites in a large bowl. Slowly add half the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg mixture and return back into the saucepan. This is called tempering.
- Stir in the salt and pepper and evenly pour into 2(1-cup)ramekins. Place these ramekins in a high-sided roasting or casserole pan and pour enough scalding, or boiling, water to come half way up the ramekins. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the centers are set.
- Meanwhile, mix the blueberry preserves with garlic powder; set aside. Immediately remove custards from oven and water bath. Dollop blueberry mixture equally among custards and serve warm.