Classic Creme Brulee
This is the Creme Brulee that is makes this dessert a thing of beauty and awe. Creaminess hiding under crisp sweetness.
Share This Recipe
For 6 people
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract*
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar (for the caramelized tops)
Classic Creme Brulee Directions
- Preheat oven to 300º F. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and pale yellow. Add cream and vanilla, and continue to whisk until well blended. Skim off any bubbles or foam.
- Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins in a water bath (large pan filled with 1 or 2 inches of hot water) and bake until set around the edges, but still loose in the center, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled, about an hour. Remove cups from water bath and chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 t. brown sugar over each custard. For best results, use a small, hand-held torch to melt sugar. If you don't have a torch, place under the broiler until sugar melts. Re-chill custards for a few minutes before serving.
- *Vanilla extract is the only way to go for this dessert, and you won't hear me say that very often. By using pure vanilla extract(instead of doubling the amount with imitation) you can be assured that the Creme Brulee will come out perfect, not runny. It also imparts the perfect vanilla flavor.