Black Forest Puff Pastries
Who doesn't like cream puffs? Who doesn't like chocolate? Add cherries and some marshmallow filling and I know I am in heaven. I made these almost bite-sized, but make larger ones if desired. Simply make sure they are thoroughly cooked before removing from oven.
For 12 Serving(s)
- 2 (10-ounce)jars Maraschino cherries
- 2 (1-ounce)envelopes plain gelatin
- 2 tablespoon(s) warm water
- 1 cup(s) ricotta, low fat, skim or regular
- 1/2 cup(s) marshmallow fluff
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white, beaten
Black Forest Puff Pastries Directions
- Drain juice from cherries into a small saucepan. Heat over medium until a little above room temperature. Remove from stove and sprinkle 1 envelope gelatin over the top and let soften for 3 minutes. Whisk well and transfer to a bowl, add reserved cherries and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Empty remaining gelatin over the top of warm water and let soften 3 minutes in a large bowl. Add ricotta cheese and marshmallow fluff. Blend well, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, make puffs.
- Grease a large sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Preheat oven to 400-derees F. Place butter, water and sugar in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, until butter has melted. Vigourusly beat in the flour and cocoa while still on heat, with a sturdy wooden spoon, until it comes away from the side of the pot. Remove from heat and add egg mixture, continuing to beat well until it all comes together. Dollop 2 tablespoon measures onto prepared pan, making about 11-12 puffs, and leaving an inch or so between mounds. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until puffed up and crisp. Remove from oven, cool slightly before cutting each in half. Scoop out uncooked interior of each, cooling completely. Assemble by equally dividing the cherry mixture among the bottom halves of puffs, followed by equal amounts of ricotta mixture.