Yanked Orange Pumpkin Kataifi's
My take on a popular Greek desssert. But instead of using puff pastry dough, I use a prepared pie pastry dough. And in place of the honey syrup that is traditional, see how the tart taste of cranberries works much better here. Pronounced ka-ta-EE-fee, it packs a perfect punch and is simply a great tasting dessert.
For 3 people
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and divided
- 1 (.25-ounce)envelope plain gelatin
- 1 (15-ounce)tub fat free ricotta cheese*
- 1 cup(s) solid pack pumpkin, plain
- Cranberry Syrup:
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 (9-inch)pie pastry
- Nonstick cooking spray
Yanked Orange Pumpkin Kataifi's Directions
- In a small bowl, heat 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate until warm. Sprinkle gelatin over the top and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk orange/gelatin mixture and add to the bowl of an electric mixer, or use a hand held beater, with cheese and pumpkin. Beat on high until as creamy as possible. Wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Meanwhile, make Cranberry Syrup.
- Place dried cranberries, remainder of orange juice concentrate, water and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor, or blender, and pulse on high until the cranberries are as pureed as possible. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to boiling over medium high heat. Boil 1 minute. Strain(if desired)into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Place the pastry round on a cutting surface liberally dusted with flour. Roll out as thinly as possible, trying to form an oval. Square off the dough slightly. Using a large knife or pizza cutter, cut strips of dough as thinly as desired in width. Remove cheese filling from refrigerator and divide into 3 equal portions. Mold, by hand, into oval shape. Place ovals at the bottom of dough strips, with the longest side toward you. Start wrapping each by rolling away from you. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet, spray the top with nonstick cooking spray and bake 30-35 minutes, or until browned on top. Remove from oven to cool slightly before refrigerating completely. When ready to serve, drizzle each with Cranberry Syrup.
- * You can also use skim milk or low fat ricotta if desired. Just remember, the less fat it contains, the less flavor.