Creamy Cheddar Onions
This recipe is so reminiscent of creamed onions I had as a child, yet packed with so much more flavor. I love it with any beef dish as well as a side to boiled dinners and plopped on top of burgers. Try this with The Dubliner Burger, found here at theyankeechef.com
For 4 Serving(s)
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese *
Creamy Cheddar Onions Directions
- Cut onion into 1/4-inch thick slices; set asdie. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium hight heat. When ready, place onion slices into butter and cook for about 1 minute on one side, or until it is lightly browned but still firm. Remove to an 8-inch square baking pan. You may need to add a little more butter and cook onion in two batches. When done, preheat oven to 400-degrees F. whisk milk, cornstarch, black pepper and salt together well. Fold in the cheese and pour over the onions. Bake 20-25 mintues, or until all cheese has melted, onions are softened and mixture is bubbling. Remove from ovent o serve over your favorite burger.
- * Dubliner cheese is awesome if you want a bit Irish flavor.