Spicy Apple Cheddar Chicken
A simple and tasty Saturday night dish. This fusion of New England with a touch of Indian curry are a natural together, ending with a family style meal that even the children will love.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) each garlic powder, salt and black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 4 thick slices extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 cup(s) apple cider or juice, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cup(s) cornbread croutons *
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/3 cup(s) raisins
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) poultry seasoning
Spicy Apple Cheddar Chicken Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Mix curry powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper and sprinkle over entire surface of chicken; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add chicken. Cook until browned on both sides and transfer to prepared pan. We are only browning the outside, not cooking the chicken entirely. Cover each half breast with a slice of cheese and pour half the cider over the top. Whisk egg with remaining cider and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss remaining ingredients with the apple cider mixture; pour over chicken. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking an additional 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is done throughout. Serve immediately.
- * To make cornbread croutons, simply place cornbread cubes on a baking pan and bake for 30-45 minutes in a 275-degree F oven, tossing a few times to evenly brown and dry out.