Fresh Apple Dumpling Cake
A mouthful of apples in every single bite. This cake needs no topping and the sides darken and caramelize to form a sugar crust all around.
Share This Recipe
For 9 Serving(s)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Apple Mixture:
- 2 cup(s) diced apple
- 1/2 cup(s) apricot preserves, heated and stirred
- 2 tablespoon(s) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) apricot preserves
- 1 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
Fresh Apple Dumpling Cake Directions
- Prehat oven to 350-degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. For apple mixture, mix the diced apple, apricot preserves, orange juice and cinnamon in a bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Cake: In the bowl of a mixer, or use hand-held electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth, on high speed. Add eggs, orange juice and apricot preserves. Continue beating on high until mixed well. In a separate bowl, blend flour and baking powder together. Add dry to wet and mix, by hand, until combined well.
- Pour half the cake batter into prepared pan. Evenly distribute half the apple mixture over the batter and pour the remaining batter over the apples. Carefully spread batter with a fork or spoon until all the apples are covered with batter. It doesn't have to be very thickly covered. Sprinkle the remaining apple mixture over the batter evenly. Top with brown sugar and bake 38-40 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched and the sides of the cake have caramelized. Remove from oven and serve warm or let cool completely.