Candied Yam-Stuffed Apples
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 2 graham crackers, crushed
- 2 teaspoon(s) each sugar and Chinese 5-spice powder or cinnamon
- 4 apples
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup(s) cooked, roughly mashed yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried cranberries or raisins
- 4 tablespoon(s) crumbled, shredded or sliced Cheddar cheese
Candied Yam-Stuffed Apples Directions
- Mix crushed graham crackers with sugar and Chinese 5-spice powder; set aside. With a sharp knife, cut off at a 3-inch, in diameter, circle off the stem end of apple. At a slant toward the core, cut almost all the way down the inside of the apples and remove most of the core, but not all. With a teaspoon, dig and scrape out remnants of core, leaving a half-inch wall of flesh on the inside, being careful not to break apple.
- Peel a concentric circle of apple skin off, and around, each apple. Spray the outside with nontick cooking spray.
- Roll each apple into graham cracker crumb mixture and set on a baking pan.. Evenly sprinkle any remainder crumb mixture into each apple. In a small bowl, blend mashed yams with cranberries; equally dividing it among the inside of the apples. Top with equal amounts of cheese and bake 35-40 minutes, or until the apple is soft when touched. Remove from oven to cool slightly before transferrring to serving plates.