Apple Gingerbread Newtons
Talk about one-upping a Fig Newton. This is my favorite new cookie for the kids when they get out of school. But I have a funny feeling that I will be making batches and batches of these fragrantly moist cookies throughout the winter and Holiday season.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 2 large apples, peeled cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) apple juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 1/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ginger
- 1/4 cup(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoon(s) molasses
- 1 egg
- Nonstick cooking spray
Apple Gingerbread Newtons Directions
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples, sugar and apple juice. Bring to a boil and cook until apples have absorbed all the liquid, about 5 minutes, Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 additional minutes, or until apples are commpletely soft. Remove from heat, remove lid and add lemon juice and cinnamon. Mash apples with a fork, transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely cold.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and spices. In another bowl, whisk butter, molasses and egg until smooth. Add wet with dry, mixing with a sturdy spoon. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray a large baking pan with nonstick ccooking spray. Remove dough from refrigerator and place half the dough on a large piece of film wrap, placing remainder of dough in refrigerator. Place another piece of film wrap over the top and press down with hands to form a rectangle. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a rectangle about 1/2-inch in thickness and 4-5-inches in width, remove top film wrap. Remove filling from refrigerator and spread half the filling down the center lengthwise. Slightly spread filling to come an inch from either side. Fold over one side of dough to cover fillling, repeating and overlapping the other side. Press down slightly to flatten slightly and transfer to prepared pan.
- Repeat with remainder of dough and filling, placing it on pan one inch from first gingerbread "log". Bake 16-18 minutes, or until the top is springy to the touch. Remove from oven, let cool a couple minutes before transferring to another, ungreased, cookie pan to completely cool. Cut into desired sizes and cool completely before enjoying.