Spiced Wine-Poached Apples
My favorite vehicle for these poached apples is a simply grilled pork chops and unpretentious, freshly cooked green beans. But if I were to enjoy these wine-infused apples as a dessert, the answer is yet another simple presentation.....ladled hot over real vanilla bean ice cream.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 2 firm, tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 cup(s) red wine *
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped, candied or crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
Spiced Wine-Poached Apples Directions
- Peel, core and cut apples in 8 wedges each. Place apples in a large bowl, add remainder of ingredients and toss to combine well. Cover and refrigerate for one hour, stirring frequently. Transfer apple mixture to a large skillet over low heat. Once the wine is hot and slightly simmering, let apples cook until they are crisp tender, about 15-17 minutes. Remove apples with a slotted spoon to enjoy over your protein or ice cream.
- * Red Bordeaux, red Beaujolais or Pinot Noir are highly recommended for this recipe.