Cheesy Succotash Grill
Want a great and filling grilled cheese sandwich that is truly filling? Here it is, and using Succotash ingredients gives you the satisfaction of protein without the fat. As you know, Succotash has been around for centuries here in New England and many moons before us Europeans coming over. This is, yet again, one of the true, great food gifts bestowed upon us from the Native Americans.
For 2 people
- 2 small pita breads
- Pumpkin Mayonnaise, recipe below
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) shredded Pepperjack cheese
- 1 cup(s) whole kernel corn
- 1/2 small diced tomato
- 1/4 cup(s) diced onion
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked great northern beans
- 1/2 cup(s) diced, cooked chicken
Cheesy Succotash Grill Directions
- With a sharp knife, insert it into the pita bread and cut around it to form two thin halves. Repeat with other pita.
- For the Pumpkin Mayonaisse: In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons pumpkin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper; mix well; set aside.
- Spray the outer outer half of two pitas and place in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Spread some Pumpkin Mayonnaise and top with equal amounts of half the cheese, corn, tomato, onion, beans and chicken. Sprinkle remainder of the cheese over both and top with the other halves of the pita, with more Pumpkin Mayonnaise spread over each. Cook, flattening down with a spatula, until it is starting to crisp. Carefully flip over to finish crisping on the other side. Remove and enjoy.