Deliciously Bold Clams on the Half Shell
Look at this simple list of ingredients and preparation. Now you have no reason NOT to incorporate something great tasting into your summer gathering year after year. When you are ready to remove the black "sleeve" that is found over the siphon, all you need to do is grab a paper towel, then grab the "sleeve" and pull. My father, the second Yankee Chef, always made this recipe without first cooking the clams. the did just barely cook while in the grill but this was a man who ate raw clams and scallops frequently.
For 6 people
- 1 lb(s) whole, live clams
- 1 3/4 cup(s) unseasoned, dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 cup(s) minced onion
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
Deliciously Bold Clams on the Half Shell Directions
- Wash clams and cover with 1-inch water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook clams for 1 minutes, or until they have opened up. Discard any unopened clams. Strain and let cool to handle. Remove meat from the clams, not forgetting the black sleeve encompassing the siphon. Discard half the clam shells.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Place the remainder of the clam shells on a baking sheet. put 1 clam body onto each shell; set aside. in a bowl, combine remainder of ingredients and toss well. Evenly divide the crumb mixture on top of each clam. Bake 6-8 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Remove and serve immediately with lemon wedges if desired.