Crispy New England-Style Colcannon Cakes
Adding sharp Vermont Cheddar in a recipe from our Yankee counterparts is the perfect compliment to each other. There is something about melted cheese coming from a crispy exterior of a soft, mashed potato pancake. This recipe is geared for leftover potatoes but why not make Colcannon Potatoes ahead of time and grill up these tasty patties for your Irish table?
For 4 Serving(s)
- 2 cup(s) leftover Colcannon potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) eftover corned beef, chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil
- 2 cup(s) cornmeal
- 1/4 cup(s) shredded Vermont extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
Crispy New England-Style Colcannon Cakes Directions
- In a large mixing bowl, loosen up(or remash) the potatoes with a masher or fork. Fold in the corned beef and form into four 1/2-cup measure balls. Make an indent in each to fill with a tablespoon(or more if you prefer) cheese. Close the gap and flatten out to an inch in thickness. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, nonstick pans are best. Place the cornmeal in a shallow plate. Remove potatoes from fridge and dredge both sides of each potato patty with cornmeal, pressing firmly. when oil is hot, add the Colcannon Cakes and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until well browned. Remove and serve.