Apple Pie French Toast with Candied Almonds
Walnuts, pecans and macadamia nuts are a great alternative in this recipe. For a thicker slice of French toast, slice some French or Italian bread, Ciabatta or try potato bread for an even heartier breakfast.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 1/4 cup(s) apple juice, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup(s) milk
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 4 slices bread
- Maple Candied Almonds, recipe below
Apple Pie French Toast with Candied Almonds Directions
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon apple juice: set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the apples, 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and remainder of apple juice. Over medium heat, cook and stir 10-12 minutes, or until apples are crisp tender and thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine eggs with the milk and vanilla: set aside.
- Add remainder of butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Dip the bread into the egg mixture and coat both sides well. Add to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove to 2 serving plates and top with equal amounts of the apple mixture and top with Candied Almonds.
- Maple Candied Almonds:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup almonds
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Add the almonds to a food processor of blender and whirl a few times to break them into small pieces. In a bowl, combine the almonds with the remainder of ingredients and add to a skillet. Brown over medium heat, tossing frequently, for 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and chill in refrigerator until needed. Crush with your fingers when ready to use.