Fresh Strawberry Glaze Pie
A little about the crust of this pie. I love my recipe far more than any I have ever used. When you bite into my pie, with it's Shortbread Crust, you truly feel as if you are tasting Strawberry Shortcake in a whole new light.
Now you will notice I use lemon-lime soda. You betcha! The flavor of the soda is unequaled by any extract or flavoring. Try it! If you would prefer to use water, by all means do so.
For 4 Serving(s)
- 1 Shortbread crust (ingredients below)
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 1/3 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup(s) cold water
- 1 Filling (ingredients below)
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon(s) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cup(s) lemon lime soda, divided
- 1 quart(s) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in quarters
Fresh Strawberry Glaze Pie Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, place the flour, sugar, and salt and knead until combined. Add the cold butter and mix until the butter resembles small peas. Add the water and continue kneading until it just comes together to form a ball.
- Transfer the pastry to the prepared pan and, using your fingertips, evenly press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. (Can use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface of the pastry.) Gently pierce the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. (This will prevent the pastry crust from puffing up while it bakes.) Cover and place the pastry crust in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill. (This will help prevent the crust from shrinking while it bakes.)
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove and cool while making the rest of the pie.
- For the filling: In small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 4 T. soda to make a smooth slurry; set aside. Combine the sugar, gelatin and lemon lime soda in a medium size pot. Bring mixture to a boil, slowly whisk in the cornstarch slurry and continue whisking until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the strawberries in the baked pie shell. Pour the filling over the strawberries coating them completely. Refrigerate until set about 2 hours. Store in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.