Truly Easy Crockpot Mac and Cheese
I would love to tell you that this is one of those "set it and forget it" kinds of recipes. But even though most crockpot recipes tell you to do just that with macaroni and cheese, you truly cannot because the macaroni is heavier than all other ingredients and it doesn't float. Therefore, when it settles to the bottom, directly onto heat, the law of physics takes over and you have no choice but to obey. Regardless, this is going to be one the creamiest mac and cheeses you have ever had and even though it required your attention a couple times, it is a "whole heap" easier than traditional recipes.
Share This Recipe
For 6 people
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni(2 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced American cheese
- 8 ounces(2 cups) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12-ounce)can evaporated milk
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper*
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
Truly Easy Crockpot Mac and Cheese Directions
In your crockpot that holds at least 2 quarts, pour in macaroni. Add slices of American cheese to cover the top. Pour in both milks, sprinkle top with salt and pepper and dump shredded cheese on top. You don't need to worry about spreading it around. Add butter, cover and turn your crockpot on low.
Forget about it for 30 minutes. At that time, give it a stir to lift up the macaroni that has been sticking to the bottom. Replace cover and cook for 2 more hours. About half way through, you will want to stir it up yet again.
* Yes, I said white pepper. I know many of you may not have it in your cupboard anymore, but if you do, it makes a world of difference in this dish. I initially used it because if I had used black pepper, my son would not have touched it. So I added white and he never new the difference. And it was the very first time I used white pepper in mac and cheese and I won't go back now.