Citrus Spiced Sweet Potatoes
Sweet with a little tart and heat is a perfect combination for sweet potatoes. I adore the thickened glaze that forms at the very end of this recipe.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 1 seedless orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and seeded
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick(1/4-cup)butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup orange or cranberry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves *
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried cherries, cranberries or raisins
Citrus Spiced Sweet Potatoes Directions
Roughly chop orange and grapefruit sections; set aside. Peel and dice sweet potatoes into about 1-inch squares; set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add butter and honey. When butter is melted, add potatoes, orange juice, salt, cayenne, ginger and cilantro. Stir to combine, cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender but not falling apart.
Remove lid, add citrus fruit with any accumulating juice and lime juice. Increase heat to medium high and cook another 3-4 minutes, or until much of the juice has evaporated. Serve hot.
* If using fresh cilantro leaves, you will need a tablespoon freshly chopped.