Bar Harbor Shortcake
A true red, white and blue shortcake recipe that is a sensational summer dessert. How can you go wrong with strawberries, blueberries and lemon? YOU SIMPLY CAN'T! By grilling the strawberries, you taste a little bit of outdoors in a classic American dessert.
For 8 people
- 1 recipe Lemonade Stand Pound Cake *
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled
- 1 container whipped topping
- Blueberry Pancake Syrup(see NOTE)
Bar Harbor Shortcake Directions
- Cut pound cake into 1-inch thick slices; set aside. Heat outdoor grill on high. When hot, place strawberries on grate of grill, close lid and cook for about 2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Turn each berry over and continue grilling and turning until strawberries are starting to soften and are covered in grill marks. Remove from heat and set aside while cooking cake slices.
- Reduce heat to medium and place cake slices on grill grates. Keeping lid open, grill cake until grill marks appear then flip over to to do the same on the other side.
- To assemble, place on grilled cake slice on a serving plate, topping with a mound of whipped topping, 2-3 grilled berries and top with Blueberry Syrup.
- * Use can follow this link to my recipe or simply use any store-brand pound, angel food or coffee cake sliced and grilled as directed above.
- NOTE: You can purchase this amazing product through Bar Harbor Jam Co. here, or make you own by putting 1(8-oz.) container frozen blueberries, thawed into a food processor or blender container with 1/2 cup orange juice. Pulse on high until mixture is pureed very well. Strain into a medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon sugar and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add to sauce. Continue whisking for 30 seconds until smooth and remove from heat to cool before using.