Delicious Maque Choux
Maque Choux(of which the meaning is somewhat vague)is prounouced Muck Shoo and frequently contains sliced okra. I think you will enjoy this alternative. Add this spicy Cajun side dish with any barbecuing you are doing this summer.
For 4 people
- 1 (15 ounce)jar fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- 1 green bell pepper, halved and cored
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 ounces pepperoni, diced small
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Delicious Maque Choux Directions
- Drain all but 1/2 cup juice from jarred tomatoes; set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet, or saucepan, until hot over medium high heat. When ready, add garlic, stirring and cooking one minute. Add bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper and pepperoni. Stir to combine and cook 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Add reserved tomato juice along with diced tomatoes, corn, thyme, hot pepper sauce and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered, or until slightly thickened with most of the liquid evaporated.
- Remove from heat to serve while hot or cool completely before serving.