Homemade Cheesy Cream-style Corn
"Easy cheesy", as my children say. And that isn't far off the mark with this great tasting side dish. Forget about added sugar and modified cornstarch. Modified corn starch? Yup, it is chemically treated(altered) starch used as a thickener, and I avoid it as much as possible because nobody knows HOW it is treated. Those of you who should be aware of gluten should also avoid this altered starch as well, which is found in every single brand of processed, store bought cream style corn.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, divided
- 1 cup skim milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 slices yellow American cheese, diced
Homemade Cheesy Cream-style Corn Directions
- Place half the corn with all of milk in a blender or food processor and process for a few seconds until the kernel is no longer visible. Remove and transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Add remainder of corn and salt and pepper. Bring to scalding over low heat and continue scalding, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until completely melted. Serve immediately.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups