German Breakfast Apple Pancakes
An upside down pancake loaded with apples and breakfast meat! No need for any additional topping on this luscious breakfast, or lunch, or......you get the point.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 3 medium apples
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup diced, cooked pork sausage(about 2 ounces)*
- 2 tablespoons molasses
German Breakfast Apple Pancakes Directions
- Peel, halve and core apples. Slice apple halves as thinly as possible and arrange in the bottom of an oven safe, 9 to 10-inch skillet, preferably cast iron. Pour apple juice over the top and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue boiling for about 5-6 minutes, or until apples are softened and liquid has almost entirely evaporated.
- Meanwhile. preheat oven to 350-degrees F. In a large bowl, blend flour and sugar together. Add milk, eggs and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Evenly sprinkle cook, diced sausage over the apples, followed by molasses. Remove skillet from heat and pour batter over apple mixture. Immediatley place in oven and bake 20-25 minutes without opening door of oven. You will notice the batter rising in alternate areas.
- When the top is lightly browned, opening the door only briefly if needed, remove from oven to cool for a few minutes.
- Carefully invert onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve.
- * Either omit altogether or substitute your favorite smoked meats or bacon if desired.