Yanked™ Green Bean Casserole
I am tellin' ya'!, this is the BEST Green Bean Casserole you could possibly make this year, or any year!. The topping is crispier than any other, including that faux onion ring topping and MUCH healthier. But I wasn't a Grinch, I did add the great flavor of onion in the topping.
The addition of bacon is.....well, I don't really need to extol that virtue, do I? If canned Cheddar cheese soup isn't your thing, make your own as directed below.
For 6 people
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cups crumbled corn bread
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 teaaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 (10-ounce)cans Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup*
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 (9-ounce)packages frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Yanked™ Green Bean Casserole Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Melt butter in large skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, stirring once or twice. Remove pan from heat and add crumbled corn bread, egg whites and cracked pepper, mixing until everything is thoroughly combined; set aside. Whisk soup and sour cream until smooth; set aside.
- Empty green beans into an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Top with crumbled bacon and pour cheese mixture over the top evenly. No need to fold it into green beans. Top with cornbread mixture and level it off.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until topping is crisp, browned and the casserole is bubbling around the sides.
- Remove from oven and dish up while piping hot.
- * Or simply make your own Cheddar cheese soup. Melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour. When smooth, add 1 1/2 cups milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to scalding, stirring almost constantly to prevent burning. Add 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and remove from heat. Stir until cheese has completely melted. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Use in place of prepared Cheddar cheese soup above.