Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake
Who doesn't like the combination of chocolate and cherries? This is a great coffee cake that truly is reminscent of the early days when coffee cake was actually eaten simply by picking a wedge up with one hand and washing it down with coffee in the other.
For 9 Serving(s)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick(1/2-cup)butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup stemmed maraschino cherries, roughly crushed, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake Directions
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan or an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat sugar with butter until as creamy as possible. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla, continue beating until well combined.
- In a large bowl, blend the flour, cocoa and baking powder and slowly add to butter mixture, beating well. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, leveling it off. Sprinkle half cherries over top and then remaining batter.
- Lift up the pan an inch or so from the counter and drop so that the air bubbles are released and the top levels off once again. Sprinkle remaining cherries over the top.
- For the topping, combine flour, sugar and melted butter until dry ingredients are completely moistened. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake 40-45 minutes, or until it bounces back when touched in the center. Remove from oven to cool before serving.
- Makes about 9 servings