Cherry Cordial Thumbprints
Cordial means both a liqueur of some type or the warmth and good feeling you get when meeting someone.....or something. That "thing" is this decadent cookie without the alcohol. But if you want to share these gems with adults, substitute the cherry juice in the glaze with any cherry-flavored brandy.
For 14 Serving(s)
- 2 (10-ounce)jars maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup(1/2-stick)butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons bakng powder
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Cherry Cordial Thumbprints Directions
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or waxed paper; set aside.
- Drain juice from jars of cherries, reserving juice; set aside. Remove 14 cherries; set aside. Roughly chop remainder of cherries and set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter until smooth. Add egg and lemon juice, continuing to beat well.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour with baking powder and slowly add to butter mixture, beating well. Fold in chopped cherries, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll into 2-inch balls. If the dough is sticky, keep wetting hands with cold water to prevent sticking. Roll each ball in the beaten egg white and then into the coconut until evenly(and heavily) coated. Place on prepared sheet pan, continuing with remainder of dough and leaving about 2 inches between balls.
- Bake 12 minutes, slide rack out and press reserved whole cherries in the middle of each cookie, pushing almost half-way down into cookies. Continue cooking an additional 8-10 minutes, or until firm when touched near the cherry. Remove from oven, keeping cookies in the same pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons reserved cherry juice and drizzle over each. If thinner glaze is desired, add more juice. If thicker, add more powdered sugar. Allow the icing to harden and cookie to cool before serving.
- Makes 14 Thumbprints