Sofrito is to Latin culinary skills as roux is to the rest of the world. It is a fragrant mix of herbs and seasonings that forms a tasty accompaniment to a wide range of dishes, with vegetables being the best vehicle for this "sauce".
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 (15-ounce)can stewed, diced or whole tomatoes
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried, chopped cilantro leaves *
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
Spanish Sofrito Directions
- Empty tomatoes with juice, canned peppers, onion, cilantro and garlic in a food processor or blender. Puree until as smooth, or as chunky, as desired. Transfer to a medium saucepan with red pepper flakes and salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium heat and whisk in tomato paste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- * Or use 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves