Yanked Vegetable Alfredo
Using both squashes is a great way of introducing children to vegetables without having the dish look like vegetables. Using skim milk or even almond milk works perfectly here as well. Both squashes will also cook perfectly in the minimal time shown below.
For 4 Serving(s)
- 1 each small zucchini and summer squash
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
Yanked Vegetable Alfredo Directions
- Using either a madolin or vegetable peeler, slice both zucchini and summer squash into long thin ribbons. Stack on top of each other and cut into spaghetti-like strips; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucpean over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Add milk, salt and pepper, whisking until smooth. Add zucchini, squash and bacon, stirring well. When sauce has thickened slightly, continue to stir and cook another 2 minutes. Add cheese, stir to combine and remove from heat. Serve hot.
- Enough for 2-4 side portions.