Persimmon Shrimp Cosmopolitan
There are many recipes for how a true Cosmo should be prepared, wtih most of them using cranberry juice. I decided that a brighter, more intense, tropical feel and flavor should mingle with the light, sweet taste of shrimp. I add a kick to this olive oil-poached shrimp, but remember never to bring the poaching liquid above about 150-degrees F.. You are gently "coddling" the shrimp.
For 6 people
- 1 1/4 cups vodka, divided
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ripe Maru persimmon
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 small hot chile pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh mint leaves
Persimmon Shrimp Cosmopolitan Directions
- Place 1 cup vodka, olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a large, shallow skillet. Bring to scalding over low heat. Do not boil! Add shrimp in a single layer and set flame on the lowest possible setting.
- Poach shrimp until they are completely cooked through. If yu find the liquid is getting so hot that it is smoking, turn off heat and allow to poach without additional fire.
- Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and refrigerate until cold; discarding poaching liquid. Meanwhile, make Cosmo portion of recipe.
- Peel the persimmon as you would an apple and cut into chunks. Place in a blender or the bowl of a food processor along with pineapple juice, pepper, remainder of vodka, remainder of lemon juice and mint leaves. Puree, on high, until as smooth as possible. Strain into 6 individual small, serving glasses. Skewer two shrimp and place into glasses. Sprinkle additional chopped mint leaves and serve cold.
- NOTE: I chose Maru persimmons because of its vibrantly colored flesh. Use whichever persimmon you desire, as long as it is ripe.