Broiled Cod "Salad"
My kind of salad! I chose cod because it has the lowest fat content of any fish and cooks rapidly. Tilapia is also a great white fish for this recipe. But what I truly love about this dish is the beautiful presentation as well as a 'feel good about yourself' result. Healthy and satisfying in every way.
For 4 people
- 2 tablespoons each paprika and chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspon cayenne pepper
- 4 (6-ounce)cod fillets
- 1 large mango
- 1 cup carrot juice *
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 (2-inch long)strip of lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon ground, dried ginger, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
Broiled Cod "Salad" Directions
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Coat both sides of each piece of cod with spice blend and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, pit, peel and dice mango. Place mango cubes in a medium saucepan with carrot, orange juice, lemon rind and 1/4-teaspoon ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until mango is softened slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove mango with slotted spoon into a bowl and toss with remaining ginger. Cover and keep warm.
- Continue simmering juice until reduced by half, or until thickened. Remove and discard lemon rind, keep sauce warm while cooking cod.
- Preheat broiler, with rack at least 3-inches from heat source. Place spiced cod on broiler, or baking, pan that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Broil until fish easily flakes, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and assemble dish.
- Equally divide orange/carrot sauce among 4 serving plates. Top with cooked cod and top with equal amounts of cooked mango. Serve immediately.
- * You can also use 2 cups V-8 brand of Carrot/Ornage Juice blend and omit both the carrot and orange juice entirely from this recipe. Carrot Juice is, however, available in any supermarket, even Gerber offers it for sale.