Picnic Cannellini Salad
Using Great Northern, Navy or any white bean works equally well in this warm or cold salad, laced with a terrific Citrus Vinaigrette. I chose these beans for my friends watching their glycemic index because they are THE lowest of all dried beans with a score of about 30. Plus it doesn't hurt that they hold their shape very well when cooked, with a slight nutty flavor.
For 4 Serving(s)
- Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup minced purple onion
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 (8-ounce)bag fresh spinach leaves
- 2 (15-ounce)cans cooked cannellini beans, drained
- Shredded cheese for garnish
Picnic Cannellini Salad Directions
- Make Vinaigrette by adding all dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until emulsified and blended well; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium high until melted. Add onion, cooking and stirring until softened. Add tomato and spinach. Toss to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 5-8 minutes, or until spinach is completely wilted. Add beans, blend well and drain any excess juice. Transfer to a large bowl and pour vinaigrette over the top. Blend well and serve warm with cheese sprinkled over the top or let cool completely before serving.