New England Lobster Flan with Cheddar Crisps
This dish is not only great because of the flavors, but when baking, it forms its own crispy crust. If you are looking for a healthier alternative, use fat free evaporated milk, low moisture Cheddar cheese and 6 egg whites. It will be a little more lighter, visually, but just as delicious.
For 6 Serving(s)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (12 fluid ounce)can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 ounces cooked lobster meat, chopped
- 1 medium, cooked potato, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
New England Lobster Flan with Cheddar Crisps Directions
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Grease a 9-inc cake or pie tin with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, add milk, ricotta and eggs, whisking until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, lobster meat, potato, salt and black pepper. Pour into prepared pan. Place pan into a roasting pan with enough water to come half-way up the side of the prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until firm but it will still slightly jiggle in the middle. Remove from oven, and remove from water bath. Cool to room temperature before serving or chill completely to serve.
- To make Cheddar crisps, preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Mix remainder of cheese with basil and dollop tablespoon measures on a greased baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until browned around the edges and completely melted. Remove from oven to cool slightly before lifting each off with a spatula onto a platter, roll and completely cool to harden.