Cheesy Chili Bake
A surprisingly great breakfast, lunch or dinner. This recipe is only as spicy as you want it to be(Hence the lack of too much heat here for me. I perspire eating barbecue chips). This meal is so cheesy, so smoky and so delicious, it would be a perfect vehicle for the addition of other cooked vegetables as a layer as well.
For 4 people
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 1 cup(s) minced onion
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- 3 cup(s) cooked rice
- 6 ounce(s) smoked ham, diced
- 6 eggs, beaten *
- 1 (14.5-ounce)can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each red pepper flakes and chili powder
- 3 (4-ounce)cans chilies in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded, smoked Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- canned green chilies, drained and halved
Cheesy Chili Bake Directions
- In a large skillet, meled butter over medium high heat. Add minced onion and garlic. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to a bowl along with rice, ham and eggs, stirring well to combine; set aside. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Blend chopped tomatoes with juice, red pepper flakes, chili powder and chilies in adobo sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Spread half of tomato mixture on the bottom of a 8-inch square pan. Top with half the rice mixture and then all of the shredded cheese. Add remainder of tomato mixture, remainder of rice mixture, green chilies and ending with Provolone cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown on top. Remove from oven, cool slighty before cutting and serving.
- * Or use 1 1/2 cups egg substitute.