Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Okay, who doesn't like Broccoli and Cheese together, let along it stuffed inside some marvelously tender, juicy chicken. This is baked so, rest assured, you can get up from the table feeling better than if it had been deep-fried.
For 4 people
- 15 butter flavored or whole wheat crackers
- 1/2 cup(s) panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup(s) dry breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 4 slices white or yellow american cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup(s) cooked, chopped broccoli
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts Directions
- Pulse crackers and Panko crumbs in a food processor until coarsely ground. Remove to a bowl and add the bread crumbs, mixing well. Drizzle in melted butter over the top and incorporate well. Transfer to shallow dish: set aside. Place the flour in a shallow bowl: set aside. Place the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl: set aside.
- With the bottom of a frying pan or a mallet, pound chicken until about 1/2-inch thick between 2 sheets of film wrap. Don't pound the chicken too forcefully as any tears in the chicken could allow the cheese to escape when the chicken is cooking.
- Layer all 4 slices of American cheese on top of each other, and slice vertically into four even rectangle cheese stacks. Take one of the rectangle cheese stacks and place it in the center of a whole slice of Swiss. Place some of the chopped broccoli on and around the American cheese stack, and wrap the Swiss around both, creating a roll. Place the cheese and broccoli roll in the center of a flattened chicken breast, then wrap the chicken around it, securing the edges of the chicken together with toothpicks. Repeat for the remaining chicken breasts and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- One at a time, coat stuffed chicken lightly with flour, dip into egg mixture, and dredge in crumbs, pressing to adhere. Refrigerate 30 minutes. When you have 10 minutes left of cooling the rolled chicken, preheat oven to 350-degrees F, transfer chicken to baking sheet and bake until golden brown and chicken registers 165 degrees F, 25-30 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite side dish.